The current economic model has brought about unsustainable levels of resource consumption, environmental degradation, and social inequality. We see the devastating effects of this in the people and environment around us. Our time for debating is running out, and the time for action is now. When there is so much to do, what to do can seem overwhelming.
For World Fair Trade Day, observed on 13 May 2023, The World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) will focus on the theme “Reimagining the Economy: Regenerative Businesses for the Future.” It’s critically important for us to reimagine the economy and find a more sustainable and equitable way forward.
As we seek to create a better future, it’s essential that citizens, enterprises, activists, influencers and policy makers work together to promote Fair Trade practices and support ethical and sustainable businesses.
In this article, we’ll explore how you can join the Fair Trade movement and contribute to creating this future with us.
- Ask the right questions to educate yourself and others: Question the impact of your purchasing choices and the principles of your favourite brands and businesses. Read about Fair Trade, Fair Trade principles and ask for the right information from the right sources. The WFTO website and social media channels are regularly updated with the latest information, and you can sign up to receive the WFTO newsletter via the contact form below.
- Engage in responsible consumption: Think about the impact of your purchasing power. Responsible consumption means choosing products and services that are produced using fair labour and environmental practices, reducing consumption of single-use materials, and choosing products with minimal packaging. Encourage others to adopt these practices by leading by example and sharing information on how to make more sustainable choices.
- Support local and small businesses: Support local and small businesses that prioritise sustainability and fairness in their practices. This can help reduce the environmental impact of transportation and support the local economy. You can also contact us via the contact form below to find out about products and services WFTO members can supply.
Activists & Influencers:
- Raise awareness and advocate for change: Raise awareness about issues related to Fair Trade and sustainability by sharing information through social media, organising events and campaigns, and engaging with local and national media outlets. Advocate for change by lobbying policy makers and businesses to adopt more sustainable and equitable practices.
- Support and promote local initiatives: Support and promote local initiatives that prioritise sustainability and fairness in their practices, such as community gardens, farmers’ markets, and sustainable transportation options.
WFTO is an international network of over 450 Fair Trade enterprises from more than 80 countries that focus on supporting, developing and promoting businesses who are committed to Fair Trade.
- WFTO focuses on the entire supply chain of businesses involved in Fair Trade, including producers, cooperatives, wholesalers, and retailers. Its primary goal is to create a supportive environment for these businesses to thrive and uphold WFTO’s 10 Fair Trade principles.
- WFTO operates as a global network of enterprises committed to Fair Trade principles. Members are subject to peer review and self-assessment processes, as well as independent verification to ensure compliance with WFTO’s principles.
- WFTO’s 10 Principles of Fair Trade cover a broader range of topics, including transparency, accountability, capacity building, payment of fair prices, gender equity, and environmental sustainability. The focus is on long-term, holistic improvement for the enterprise and communities involved in Fair Trade.
As we strive to create a more sustainable and equitable global and local economies, it is crucial that Fair Trade enterprises on every level of the supply chain receive the support they need on this journey.
This is how WFTO supports Fair Trade enterprises:
By becoming a verified member of WFTO, enterprises have access to a range of benefits that will help them stay competitive and sustainable.
These benefits include:
- Access to a global network of Fair Trade enterprises: WFTO members can collaborate with like-minded businesses from around the world, share knowledge, and exchange best practices.
- Verification: WFTO verification provides businesses with a globally recognised mark of excellence, demonstrating their commitment to Fair Trade practices, transparency, and accountability.
- Capacity building: WFTO offers training and support to businesses looking to improve their Fair Trade practices, including training in areas such as product development, marketing, and financial management.
- Market access: WFTO helps businesses access new markets through its online marketplace and trade fairs, providing them with the opportunity to showcase their products and reach a wider audience.
- Movement & Advocacy: WFTO brings the interests, goals and vision of its enterprises, and in particular of SMEs, to the attention of policy makers and governments.
- Enquire about membership via the contact form below.
- Create policies that incentivise fair trade and sustainability: This can include tax incentives, subsidies, and other forms of financial support for businesses that prioritise social and environmental goals.
- Set standards and regulations: This can include regulations on emissions, waste disposal, and labour practices.
- Support fair trade initiatives: Such as fair trade labelling and certification programs, to help citizens identify products that have been produced using fair labour and environmental practices. Additionally, support initiatives that promote transparency and accountability in supply chains, such as mandatory reporting requirements for businesses.
This World Fair Trade Day, let’s come together to reimagine the economy and create a more sustainable and equitable future for all. Whether you’re a citizen, enterprise, activist, influencer, or policy maker, there are steps you can take to promote Fair Trade practices and support the WFTO’s mission.