The 2018 theme 'Live Fair, one product at a time'
Calling Fair Trade heroes!
More and more people are becoming fair and ethical consumers. That’s right. There is a growing number of consumers who are willing to pay for a product that helps people and the environment.
To keep this trend going up, we adopted the theme ‘Live fair, one Fair Trade product at a time’ for this year’s celebration.
The list below are insights to help Fair Trade enterprises, supporters, advocates and campaigners make the World Fair Trade Day a success.
5 ways you can make a difference:
- Promote economic empowerment – through Fair Payment workers and producers can enjoy the fruits of their hard work and labour.
- Uphold gender equality – Fair Trade is an enabling concept that encourages women empowerment and enjoyment of women’s rights, two important pre-conditions of gender equality. A recent survey from an ongoing study revealed that Fair Trade enterprises have more women leaders compared to conventional businesses.
- Spread fair practices in the supply chains – inequalities in the supply chains are rife. You can end this through Fair Trade.
- Advocate responsible production and management of natural resources – amassing of corporate profits has led to exploitation of the environment and depletion of natural resources. Fair consumption is the anti-thesis of unsustainable practices. Every Fair Trade purchase supports responsible production.
- Boost fair and ethical economy – supporting Fair Trade products encourages bottom-up social entrepreneurships.
Be a fair consumer one product at a time. Join the movement! #livefair
You can support Fair Trade one product at a time. From breakfast to dinner time, there are many ways you can include Fair Trade products in your daily consumption. Delight your day with a cup perfectly roasted Dominican coffee in the morning, or sport a finely crafted artisanal bracelet from Guatemala, or wear a floral skirt made by empowered women in India, or enjoy a bar of organic chocolate from Ghanaian cocoa farmers, or adorn your house with a masterfully handcrafted home decoration from Indonesia.
Encouraging fair consumption promotes conscientious purchasing of products based on functionality, necessity and usefulness. Fair consumers can help promote responsible production and save the planet from exploitation and further degradation. The balance between economic and ecological sustainability is the guiding motto of living fairly.
 See Nielsen reports on ethical consumption trends: See Nielsen reports: https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/nielsenglobal/apac/docs/reports/2014/Nielsen-Global-Corporate-Social-Responsibility-Report-June-2014.pdf
 FTAO “Power in supply chains” http://www.fairtrade-advocacy.org/power