The objective of this event is to discuss address the key issues and questions that the Fair Trade movement faces
Length: 2.5 hours. Ideally this workshop “Fair Trade Hot Topics” should happen on the first day, in any it should be placed at a time slot BEFORE THE separate workshop “Fair Trade 2.0” (which is more forward-looking and propositional).
Key “hot” topics to be debated at the “Fair Trade Hot Topics” event (panel format with active moderator, no long presentations) will be:
• Is Fair Trade (and should it be) a (social) movement or a market instrument?
• Should Fair Trade focus on establishing credible certifications or on fostering direct trade relations?
• Should Fair Trade remain in the realm of private initiatives or should it be embraced by the state?
• Is Fair Trade bringing about satisficing impacts and changes?
• Quebec/Canada: Isabelle St-Germain (Oxfam)
• USA: Dana Geffner (Fair World Project)
• Latin America: Fair Trade producer – name to be confirmed
• Natalia Leal (WFTO chief executive)
Isabelle St-Germain, Oxfam (Canada, Québec)
Dana Geffner , Fair World Project (USA)
Natália Leal, World Fair Trade Organization
Esperanza Dionisio, Coop CAC Pangoa, Peru
Griselda Jarquin, UCA San Juan del Rio Coco, Nicaragua